Friday, September 27, 2013

#SEACCR Week 3 Annotated Bibliography


My School District is currently adopting the Common Core Mathematics Standards.  I believe it is a fantastic idea but I have to admit, it is creating a lot of additional work.  Since I am spending so much time adjusting our curriculum, it made sense to try to incorporate some aspect of this transition into this research project.  Searching for studies on the common core standards yields a tremendous amount of resources.  Focusing on just mathematics and the use of technology as part of its implementation narrows it down considerably.  The following are a few that should prove useful.


Annotated bibliography

Huntley, M. A., Rasmussen, C., Villarubi, R., Sangton, J., & Fey, J. (2000). Effects of standards based mathematics education: a study of the core-plus mathematics project algebra and functions strand. Journal for research in mathematics education, 31(3), 328-361.

This study looked at implementing a standards based algebra curriculum as a more rigorous approach to algebra.  It focused on the functions and variables concepts from an algebra 1 curriculum.  Graphing calculators and computer simulation software were used extensively throughout the study.  A majority of the students involved in this study were students who were well below average in their math aptitude.  An interesting component to this study was that the researchers worked with two different groups of students.  A control group was taught using traditional teaching methods and textbooks.  A second group was taught in an environment that used modeling activities and multiple forms of technology as well as cooperative learning group activities.  Another interesting part of this study was that while the control group consistently scored lower on problems that involved application of mathematical principles in meaningful contexts, they scored higher on problems that involved basic computation without the use of calculators or other technology.  Although I will not be using two different groups of students in my research, I can see where the comparisons could be valuable. 

Doerr, H. (1995, April). An integrated approach to mathematical modeling: A classroom study. San Francisco, CA. 

This study explored the use of mathematical modeling and computer simulation as a tool for combining algebra, trigonometry, and physics.  Although the study was conducted in 1995, it still has significant relevance, especially with the increase in districts adopting the STEM curriculum.  Modeling in mathematics involves cross-curricular problem sets.  The area of physics is especially valuable because of the intense mathematical nature of the subject.  When I teach trigonometry, a majority of my examples and modeling questions focus on the principles of physics.  One of the goals of this study was to determine if a modeling approach to physics problems could help Students bridge the gap between simple concepts and more involved Newtonian physics.  The researchers wanted to show that through modeling and simulation, students could predict outcomes prior to conducting experiments.  They discovered that simulation models combined with experimentation allowed students to develop several physics formulas on their own, increased the accuracy of student predictions, and allowed students to validate their own solutions. My research study will focus on the modeling component of the common core math standards.  I would like simulation and experimentation to be part of it.

McCalister, T., Carey, S., & Styles, P. (2006). Advancing problem solving skills through the use of interactive white boards in the math classroom. Informally published manuscript.

This study looked at using Promethean interactive whiteboards and interactive response systems to increase student mastery in problem solving and to increase student engagement with math instruction.  The team of researchers used the boards with animated mathematical graphics, puzzle solving (a form of problem solving), and for writing and saving classroom lesson notes.  Students used the whiteboards to display results from problem solving activities, navigating through interactive educational websites, and to animate graphics used in lessons.  Data was obtained through observation, standardized test data to document student growth, pre-test results, and through interactive response activities.

Gillespie, L., McClain, D., McKisson, D., & McNeilan, P. (2006). Using emerging technology to enhance learning in mathematics and science. Informally published manuscript.

This study looked at ways teachers used emerging technologies such as interactive SMART whiteboards and personal response systems to increase freshman scores on the Ohio Graduation Test.  The research team gathered testing data from previous years to determine their success.  They used personal response systems during lessons to gauge the level of student understanding and to increase engagement of shy or passive students.  Teachers kept a journal for logging their observations in order to determine the effectiveness of each lesson and to note student motivation.  Students were given pre and post surveys to gain information on their attitudes, interests, motivation, and knowledge.  Parents were also included to gain information on their children’s’ math experiences and study habits.  The research study did not indicate whether student graduation test scores increased but it did share additional benefits from the use of technology such as increased student motivation, increased student participation, greater comprehension, and less need for remediation.

Burt, N., Holloway, S., & Venable, S. (2006). Project in touch: integrating technology into a high school teacher preparation course. Informally published manuscript.

This research study looked at using graphing calculators and the TI-Navigator system to increase student engagement in algebra 1.  Algebra is often an obstacle for students as they switch from concrete to abstract thinking.  The difficulties presented by algebra 1 often cause students to become frustrated and disengaged.  The research team implemented the TI-navigator and the graphing calculators to create an environment where students simultaneously worked on problems, shared their info via the navigator system in real-time, and discussed results.  This allowed the teachers to adjust their lessons and helped them find teachable moments based on their observations.  I appreciated the ideas this group presented because I use graphing calculators frequently in my classroom.  Although I do not have use a TI-Navigator system, many of the ideas presented in this study would work in my classroom.  Since I have extensive experience working with graphing calculators, the results of this study were not surprising.  Student involvement increased, test scores improved, student interest increased, and fewer students were required to repeat algebra 1 due to failing grades.

3 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I agree with you that implementing the common core can be time consuming. I also agree that it is a good thing, but I am aware of the time it is taking me to adjust and be prepared for classes. I really liked your resources and thought that they could be very helpful to you. One thing that I liked was that there were several resources for using graphing calculators. This is something that many teachers at my school don’t agree with and has been a strange transition for me because they are not used frequently. Coming from 2 states that I used calculators on a daily basis, it has been weird to have students that won’t use the calculator. I am happy that they want to try and do the math on their own, but they are making mistakes! I also look as graphing calculators as a type of technology. I know that some of my coworkers feel like using the calculators is not really teaching, but I disagree with them! By using the calculators I am able to spend more time on the concepts and not the ‘naked’ math. I am also able to teach students who struggle in math how to do the concepts because they feel more confident when they are able to use the calculators. During one of my classes this past year, I found some resources on graphing calculators that I found very good. I have provided you with the links below because you may find them helpful.

    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/IASE/2.Burrill.pdf

    http://www.math.osu.edu/~laughbaum.6/papers/graphing_technology_tool_of_choice_preprint2.pdf

    Also, if you ever need help with ideas or activities with them, please let me know…because I have a ton! I also wanted to point you in the direction of a resource I found that aligns with the common core and focuses on statistics. Below are links to an article about the report, then a link to the report entitled GAISE. I found both very interesting, helpful, and applicable to your research project.

    http://www.amstat.org/education/gaise/ (Excellent resource!)

    http://www.nctm.org/publications/article.aspx?id=33666 – article about the Gaise report (link above)

    http://www.amstat.org/education/index.cfm (website with lots of resources)

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    You seem to have found a great supply of resources. I have to agree that there is an abundance of resources that deal with the newly adopted CCSS and mathematics. As a math teacher, I have also searched through some of these resources myself. I am extremely interested in the research study on incorporating graphing calculators into the algebra class. I have used many different technology tools to help students visual certain algebra concepts, but never a graphing calculator - probably because I do not think there is one that exists at our school. I am definitely going to look at this study more closely and I would love any ideas on how I could also incorporate graphing calculators into my classroom. I always have extra money to spend at the end of the year and I would be willing to buy some calculators if they will help benefit my student's understanding.

    I cannot wait to hear more about your upcoming project and the results that you find. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the idea of incorporating graphing calculators into then curriculum and having evidence to back the usage. I especially like the idea because there a a few teachers who are completely against them. I am starting to become a fan of action research. -Shauna

    ReplyDelete