Saturday, September 21, 2013

Week 2 follow up

Week 2 follow up



I now know more about language arts standards than I ever thought I would know.  Our Curriculum Principal sat in on a department meeting I was running this week.  The topic of common core standards came up and I started spewing out all sorts of information on how language arts standards were closely tied to our common core math standards and how literacy fell into the modeling components of the common core math standards, etc.  When I was done, she looked at me, said “Wow”, and then proceeded to tell me that she needed to start reading up on the standards.

As I was reviewing blog postings this week, I made it a point to focus on some of the elementary teachers sites.  I wanted to share how developing strong literacy skills in the elementary schools could affect students when they make it to high school and beyond.  I shared some of the frustrations I experience when I try to teach mathematics to a student who has low reading and writing skills.  I also shared a few websites that addressed both literacy and tech resources.  The reasoning for focusing on elementary school teachers was two-fold.  I wanted to be encouraging as they struggle to meet the intense demands of new standards and practices.  I also wanted to emphasize that their lessons in language arts will positively affect their kids ability to be successful in future coursework.  Despite taking a long hiatus from teaching, I have been around the educational world for many years.  I have seen trends come and go and have seen good teachers leave the field of teaching due to frustrations with the constantly changing ideas.  I was one of them.  Working in other intellectually demanding careers helped me realize the importance of a strong, rigorous education.  Now that I’ve come back to teaching, I appreciate how the common core standards emphasize the rigor that many careers require.  Teachers need to be aware of this and should be encouraged that efforts to meet the demands of the common core standards are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment