Sunday, September 8, 2013

What is action Research



Week 1 question:  What is Action Research?

The first question that came to mind when attempting to define Action Research was how it differed from a simple definition of research.  Duke, Martin & Akers define research as the “systematic collection and analysis of data to address a question.”  (Duke, Martin & Akers, 2013).  It is simply a means to formulate or support a conclusion through investigation.  Action research refers to “a process in which participants examine their own educational practice systematically and carefully, using the techniques of research”.  Ferrance (2000).  It is research done by educators for educators.  If I am not mistaken, this is something most educators do regularly.  Teachers are constantly evaluating the content and presentation of each lesson in order to determine its relevance and effectiveness.  Student responses, test scores, Standardized test data, and student engagement  help teachers determine the quality and effectiveness of their teaching.  Each year, I compare student data with my written goals and objectives as part of my annual performance evaluation.  The information I obtain is shared with other teachers during ongoing, collaborative projects.  This means that most educators I know and work with are action researchers. 

Action research is of particular value to an educator because educators directly involved in teaching do it.  It allows teachers to focus on single issues affecting their classrooms or can be part of a collaborative project.  (Ferrance 2000).  These researchers experience the requirements and challenges that the educational world throws at them every day.  They are the ones faced with the constraints of district policy, administrative expectations, and various other influences that dictate how their well their methods are received.  They also have firsthand knowledge of their students.  Educational research done in a non-education environment may have significant relevance but there is always the possibility that the results never actually make it out to the teachers who can use it.  Teacher training programs offer tremendous insights into the profession but occasionally, educational theory taught at the university level can lack practicality in various classroom settings.  Action research potentially results in more meaningful and more accessible information for those actively engaged in the teaching profession. 

Sources
Duke, N. K., Martin, N. M., & Akers, A. T. (2013).  10 things every educator should know about research. Teacher Librarian, 40(4), 8-22.
Diana, T. J. (2011). Becoming a teacher leader through action research. Kappa Delta Pi Record, 170-173.
Ferrance, E. (2000). Action research. Providence: Brown University.

3 comments:

  1. You are right, it is incredibly valuable that teachers who are actually teaching are the researchers in action research, not some statistician. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    I think that it is very impressive that you set your own year-long professional goals to align with your student's data. I have never thought about that, but I think that is an awesome idea. I am curious, have you been doing that for long? What type of strategies have you used for the years you have done this? Do you look at specific topics and determine that is what you are going to focus on? I'm just curious because I think it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started using year long goals for my annual evaluations when I first started using a Smart Board 4 years ago. Each year, I made it my priority to create more lessons and activities that could be done using the interactive board. As our district moved to a more data-driven environment, I began focusing more on student involvement in my class as well as test scores. I tried to create interactive response system questions that focused on areas where students were struggling with the hopes of getting them more confident and engaged. My emphasis was on students who rarely spoke up during class and who were reluctant to ask questions. I honestly can't say that my methods were very rigorous or scientific but it motivated me to improve my teaching methods.

      Delete