Wednesday, September 18, 2013

#SEACCR Week 2 Alaska Language Arts Standards impact




Week 2 Essential Question #1
How does the shift in the Alaska Language Arts standards impact teaching and learning in my classroom?

Alaska language arts standards, combined with the mathematics common core standards, have not had a huge impact on my mathematics classroom but they have definitely stirred things up.  Aside from rearranging the order in which I do things, The AK language arts standards and the mathematics common core standards have added a new dimension of rigor and focus to my curriculum.  More time is spent developing critical thinking skills while learning the concepts of mathematics.  The Alaska State Standards for English, Language Arts, and Mathematics state that mathematical modeling be part of every section and require students to analyze information, apply it to real life situations, and communicate the results in a logical, meaningful format.  Students must not only have knowledge of mathematical concepts, they must also be able communicate how to use it.  InLinking Literacy and Mathematics: The Support for Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice,” Doctors Mary Swanson and Martha Parrott state that a student’s literacy experiences build upon their ability to learn and process math concepts.  (Swanson & Parrott, 2013) The language arts standards support this idea through its emphasis on presentation of knowledge and ideas.  Students must be able to present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and task.  It is my responsibility to provide my students with instruction and opportunity to practice this in my classroom.  Since our school district follows the STEM initiatives, the Reading and Writing Standards for Science and Technical Subjects grades 6-12 directly apply to my mathematics classroom.  Science and Technology classes are the direct application of the content I teach.  In order to master these subjects, students must be able to apply the information they learned in my class.  If I provide a solid foundation in mathematical literacy, I am giving my students a tremendous advantage when they transfer that knowledge to their other classes.  Wendt, 2013 describes it very well when she states, “Content area mastery cannot be achieved without basic literacy.”  Part of my responsibility is to support that basic literacy through the teaching of mathematical language arts skills.   
 


Resources

Alaska State Standards for English, Language Arts, and Mathematics:  http://www.eed.state.ak.us/akstandards/standards/akstandards_elaandmath_080812.pdf

Wendt, J. L. (2013). Combating the crisis in adolescent literacy: Exploring literacy in the secondary classroom.  Retrieved from http://seaccr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/exploring-literacy-in-the-secondary-classroom.pdf

Swanson, M., & Parrott, M. (2013). Linking literacy and mathematics: The support for common core standards for mathematical practice. Northeastern State University, Retrieved from http://seaccr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/linking-literacy-and-mathematics.pdf

4 comments:

  1. I am excited to hear that you are using STEM lessons. I do STEM with our 6th grade buddies. Mine are 2nd. We have really enjoyed the Vernier temperature graphing. The critical thinking is a strong connection to the literacy standards. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a math teacher, I also feel that the new standards put more of a demand on teachers to produce students who have those higher order thinking skills needed to succeed in whatever they choose to do after high school. And, I think some teachers could use that extra encouragement. I have to admit that this is one of my weaknesses with my lower level classes - and those are the students who seem to need it the most. I will say that I have gotten better at having students explain their reasoning. As part of the new ELA standards, communicating ideas and thought processes using speaking and writing is definitely going to make more of an impact in our math classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,

    I really appreciated your insight and summary, “The Alaska State Standards for English, Language Arts, and Mathematics state that mathematical modeling be part of every section and require students to analyze information, apply it to real life situations, and communicate the results in a logical, meaningful format.” I agree that this is bringing an increased level of rigor in the classroom. When I first started teaching, I tried to avoid application (word) problems and taught my students a lot of “naked” math. When I did start placing a lot more emphasis on word problems and adding rigor to my classroom, I saw huge gains on my students understanding and success. I think that it is great that you are in a STEM school. I’m sure that it is a lot of work, but that with time things get easier and the kids make huge gains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the shifts in the new math standards will allow some of those things you are talking about to happen in a much more natural way in your classroom. By focusing on just a few new concepts a year, and allowing time for depth of investigation, exploration and learning, students will have more time not only for acquisition of vocabulary, but opportunities to apply it in multiple ways. Likewise, they'll have more time for application of what they've learned to make it meaningful. The STEM model will definitely make this a far easier and more meaningful transition for you as well - it just makes sense! Sounds like you definitely have a clear vision for how this can happen for you - good luck!

    ReplyDelete