Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 4 follow up #SEACCR



Week 4 follow up

Blog about the data collection methods that you chose, your rationale, and your experience over the week.

My data collection methods will be through observation of individual and group work, results of interactive response system questions, results of Smarter Balanced practice questions, results of activities, and interviews/surveys with students and parents.  All of these are methods I use regularly with kids.  After teaching these kids for 8 weeks, I am familiar with the way they respond, their level of involvement, and I understand the depth of their mathematical knowledge.  Changes in any of these will be apparent during my observations and questions.  The parent interviews will be a change for me.  Although I talk to parents regularly, I rarely discuss their opinions on technology and its effect on their kids.  I am very curious as to the responses I will get.  It is going to add a new dimension to parent/teacher conferences.  Utilizing the interactive response systems regularly should help me notice changes in student comprehension, especially with kids who limit their classroom interactions.  Smarter Balanced practice questions used in partner/group settings should help me see how kids are piecing together existing knowledge and will allow me to see how they search for additional, needed information.  I don’t do enough of this in my classroom.  I intend for this to be the beginning of a trend that continues in all of my classes.

My experiences this week were a little overwhelming.  Putting together the proposal took longer than expected.  I cannot imagine the hours I spent writing and revising the document.  I was very fortunate to have two reviewers who provided fantastic advice.  I owe my gratitude to Brandi and Amber who both had excellent suggestions.  I appreciated being able to review a couple of proposals.  It provided an opportunity to see other students work and to give a few tidbits of advice.  I still have some work to do on my data collection proposal.  A more detailed chronological plan would be helpful. I am looking forward to putting all of this hard work to use as we begin the next phase. 

2 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I think it is a great idea to talk with the parents. I would also be curious to see what they will say. My paper took me a long time too. Originally I did not do enough for the Article section, but after support from one of my reviewers, Brandi, I went back and added more. It probably took me almost 10 hours to get this week’s paper written…much more than I thought.
    It sounds like you have a good plan, and I am looking forward to seeing what happens with your research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    I think the parents of today's generation accept technology better because they use it too. Our parents were more resistant to technological changes when we were growing up. It will be interesting to hear what you find.

    I was overwhelmed this week also...I am recovering slowly. I know how you feel about having help. I was so thankful for the Jeff's help this past week as a double-duty peer reviewer. I imagine you feel much better about your progress with their help. Investing all the hours you did, you want to make it count. With the little help of your friends, you can make it happen.

    ReplyDelete