Friday, October 11, 2013

Week 5 Essential Question



What am I finding as I collect data?

This week, I found that data collection does not always go as planned.  Everything went smoothly Tuesday and Wednesday.  My students worked on challenge questions and were introduced to graphing calculators.  As expected, the challenge questions caused some frustration but stimulated lively discussions.  Some of the kids had prior experience with graphing calculators so I put them to work helping other students.  My intention was to observe and listen to the discussions that occurred while they assisted each other.  The attitude toward the calculators was positive despite this being their first experience with them.  I have used them extensively in upper level classes and have seen how much students appreciate their capabilities.  I assumed algebra 1 students would feel the same way.  As the kids worked together on the challenge questions, I walked around and asked them how they used the calculators, in what ways did the calculators help, and whether other forms of technology would be helpful.  The consensus was that the calculators were all they needed for the problems they were working on.  A few asked if there was a graphing calculator app they could download for their smart phones.  I told them there was but that the app would automatically call their mothers if they tried dividing by zero.  (You have to be a math nerd to understand that joke.  My students thought it was humorous which apparently means I am creating more math nerds.)

The rest of the week was not as productive.  Friday was an in-service day so I was not able to collect any data.  I had plans to use my interactive response system Thursday as part of a lesson.  My plan was to gauge the level of student involvement with an emphasis on a few of my quiet, introverted students.  Unfortunately, my computer’s display port had a meltdown Thursday morning that rendered my projector useless and froze the computer.  My backup computer did not have the software I needed to run the interactive response system.  I was not pleased that I lost a valuable day to gather information.  Next week is another short week with kids due to parent conferences and another in-service day, which will limit the amount of student data I will collect.  I should be able to collect data from parent surveys and interviews during our parent-teacher conferences.  It will be interesting to see their responses.  

Overall, my findings are predictable.  My data collection will continue as planned unless I discover something unexpected.  As I accumulate more data, I will continue to reevaluate my questions and my approach and will adjust as necessary.  Having an operational computer will help. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Great post Scott. As teachers we are nothing if not flexible! We are constantly observing, changing, observing and changing some more as things don't work exactly as we have planned.

    Great observational data collected so far. It supports your assumption that using a graphing calculator would be a positive experience for them. It certainly is a sign of the times for them to ask about an app!

    Good luck with your computer issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like there have been some difficulties in your path when it comes to this project, but like most educators you are still positive that it will all work out. You are going with the change and making the best of it.

    At the beginning of your article, you mentioned how some students were just using graphic calculators for the first time, and that you paired them up with others that have used them before, I like that. In my other Masters class right now, we are talking about the importance of play in the classroom. In the future, an option you may have is allowing students to explore or play around with the calculators before the lesson begins so they are more comfortable using them in the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,
    Ha! I love your joke. I actually have a t-shirt that has x/0 with a line through it that says, “Friends don’t let friends divide by zero.” My students like it and I have had several of them remember during a slope lesson, its because of your shirt!
    Anyways, it sounds like your data collection on Tuesday and Wednesday went well! I think that graphing calculators are AMAZING and great tools for math. I can’t remember if I shared these links before, but I did a little research in a previous class on graphing calculators and here are some of the links below (sorry if I already gave them to you…my mind is pretty fried when it comes to what I have and have not done for this class).
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/IASE/2.Burrill.pdf
    https://people.math.osu.edu/laughbaum.6/papers/graphing_technology_tool_of_choice_preprint2.pdf
    Do you have access to a TI-Navigator system? Those things are amazing and one of my ultimate wishes for my classroom. If you don’t know what they are, you might want to look into them, they allow you to see what each student is doing on their calculator and lets you send them problems, quizzes, etc. all at once.
    What are you doing for your interactive response system? I am thinking about doing some Survey Monkeys and letting my students use their phones to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,
    It sounds like your DC is rolling right along. I enjoyed the app joke about no division by zero as well. Your class sounds fun. I love math. It was my favorite class up to Diff EQ.
    Having the experienced students teaching the students new to use graphing calculators is a smart plan. This provided you with a perfect opportunity for classroom observation time. Collaboration helps to streamline the entire learning process as well.
    I hope you have a successful week with your computer and experience no technical difficulties. Your DC process sounds like a win-win! Finding the results you predicted makes the study process more exciting! It is good to toss a zero in every once in awhile to see where that takes you, as long as it is not the denominator :)
    Great job,
    Carrollea

    ReplyDelete