Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week 8 Data Analysis #SEACCR



Week 8  Data analysis


During our web meeting, Dr. Graham mentioned that working with the data could be a time consuming process.  I’m discovering the truth in that statement.  I’m used to dealing with spreadsheets and graphs as organizational tools but putting that to work with qualitative data is proving to be somewhat challenging.  Much of my data is based on observations and interview questions that are not associated with numerical scoring.  This limits the types of graphs I am used to using.  One idea I had was to create basic balloon diagrams displaying responses I received when talking with students and parents.  I’m finding this is a good way to avoid focusing on numbers and focus instead on the answers to my questions.

Sample student responses

In what ways did technology help you understand the lesson?

 How was the technology a distraction?



  
  
With the data that has numerical values assigned, simple column graphs work well. 

Sample Parent responses



 


What am I finding so far?
1. Technology adds interest, focus, depth, and better retention of information.
2.  Students can adapt quickly to deeper thinking skills required by smarter balance assessment questions despite their unfamiliarity.
3.  Interactive response systems increase participation with students who are typically quiet or withdrawn.
4. Rich graphics displayed on an interactive white board help visual learners comprehend lessons and promote deeper thinking.
5.  Graphing calculators speed the learning process of basic graphing and effects of changes in equations.

8 comments:

  1. I like the basic balloon diagrams. How did you do this? I also collected a lot of data via, interviews and observations, and struggled to sum it all up together in a visual form. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balloon diagrams were created in Microsoft Word. They are found in SmartArt. I chose "Radial Venn" diagrams found in the "Cycle" diagrams. It's easy to adjust the size and font and you can add as many balloons as necessary. Each balloon can be dragged so you can arrange them in any pattern you like. I hope you are able to put them to use. I've never used SmartArt before. I just happened upon it when trying to figure out ways to display my interview responses.

      Delete
  2. The last question is interesting. I am surprised you received that many "not able" responses. How was the question presented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away by how many parents didn't feel as though they could assist their kids with technology. The interview questions were presented during parent/teacher conferences. That questions was worded the same way as the title on that chart. "In what ways can you assist your kids with technology?" I had half of my parents say they could not assist them in any way. When I was reviewing responses, it made me wonder if the parents who responded that way were thinking about math specific technology instead of just technology in general. If I were to do this again, I would either reword that question or would make sure they knew I was referring to any type of technology. On a similar note, I had a few parents tell me they never checked our online grading system to view their kids progress because they didn't like using computers. One parent told me they didn't know how to send or receive email so they either let their spouse or their kids handle it.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your statement's sentiment - "If I were to do this again, I would either reword that question or would make sure they knew I was referring to any type of technology". One luxury we don't have in the confines of this course is modifying our study questions too much before the end of the term. But it's really true - when you get the responses back you start thinking, did they really understand what I was going for with that question? However this could also be the confirmation bias speaking up whenever there's a conflict in the expected and the evidence.

      Delete
  3. I like the bubbles as visuals. I find that using a wordle does make repeating words stand out which in turn becomes another good visual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,
    Nice job on your visuals. Clean, neat and simple to read. I particularly like the column graphs. Is your wordle the image that has the word standards on the left hand side of the image?
    Carrollea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played with wordle but have not published any of the resulting images. I decided to give it a try since I saw so many listed on various blogs. I may try to put something together to add as an appendix page at the end of my project.

      Delete